Crime & Safety

2nd Man Charged In Shooting At Worcester Caribbean Carnival: Police

A second man has been charged in a shooting that injured two bystanders at the event last summer.

Chequan Griswold, 24, of Boston, was charged in a shooting at the Worcester Caribbean Carnival last year, according to police.
Chequan Griswold, 24, of Boston, was charged in a shooting at the Worcester Caribbean Carnival last year, according to police. (Neal McNamara / Patch)

WORCESTER, MA — A second man has been arrested in connection with a shooting at the Worcester Caribbean American Carnival in August, according to police.

Chequan Griswold, 24, of Boston, was charged with armed assault with intent to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (firearm), and several other gun charges.

Police arrested Griswold in Boston on Dec. 29.

Previously, police arrested Omar Molina, of Holden, in connection to the shooting in September. He was charged with charged with armed assault with intent to murder, carrying a gun without a license and firing a gun within 500 feet of a home.

The carnival was cut short on Aug. 27 around 6:30 p.m. after shots rang out near the corner of Salisbury and Boynton streets. A 15-year-old and a 23-year-old were left with gunshot wounds, police said. Both victims were bystanders, but police said the shooting was related to a dispute.

Police said the shooting caused "a chaotic scene in which the large crowd was attempting to run to safety."

The Worcester Caribbean American Carnival has been held peacefully over the past 10 years in August with a parade and accompanying festival at Institute Park. The gunfire at the 2023 event came about a day after multiple people were injured in a shooting at Boston's annual Caribbean celebration.