Health & Fitness

Worcester Coronavirus Tally Reaches 12

The majority of Worcester's coronavirus cases are in people over the age of 50, according to city officials.

WORCESTER, MA — The number of coronavirus cases in Worcester saw its biggest one-day increase since the outbreak began, which is in line with how case numbers are growing at the state level.

Worcester City Manager Edward Augustus said Saturday that Worcester now has 12 positive COVID-19 cases. The majority of those cases are in people over the age of 50, Worcester Medical Director Michael Hirsch said during a Saturday afternoon briefing.

On Saturday, Gov. Charlie Baker said the statewide total grew to 525, the biggest one-day jump since the first cases appeared in Massachusetts in early March. Baker said that the number of cases will start to increase by a lot moving forward because tests are more readily available.

Worcester marked its first COVID-19 case on Saturday, and has had an increase of about one case per day since then — except for March 16 and 17 when no cases were found.

All 12 people who have tested positive for COVID-19 are in isolation and are being monitored by city health officials.