Crime & Safety
Worcester Man Charged In 2010 New Bedford Rape: DA
An untested rape kit led to charges against the 47-year-old, who is serving a federal sentence for child sexual exploitation.
WORCESTER, MA — A grand jury has indicted a Worcester man in connection to a 2010 rape in New Bedford, the first criminal charges handed down under a Bristol County District Attorney initiative to test previously untested rape kits.
Scot Trudeau was indicted on Friday on charges of aggravated rape and assault and battery by a Bristol County grand jury, DA Thomas Quinn said. In March 2010, Trudeau and another man attacked a 23-year-old woman along Coffin Avenue in New Bedford, according to the prosecutor.
"She was struck in the head and then dragged to a secluded area, where [Trudeau] raped her while the other one held her down. She could not see or identify them because they were wearing hooded sweatshirts," Quinn said in a news release.
Trudeau is in the midst of serving a federal child sexual exploitation probation sentence handed down in 2015. He is set to appear at Bristol County Superior Court on Tuesday for a dangerousness hearing.
Bristol County has a backlog of about 1,100 untested rape kits. Massachusetts has a wider backlog of nearly 6,000 untested kits, according to the group End the Backlog.