Crime & Safety

Mass. Man Sentenced To 2 Years For Illicit Sex Crime In NH

Jean Fouad Yazbek pleaded guilty to traveling from Norwood, MA to Nashua to meet with a girl he believed to be 15 years old in hotel.

Jean Fouad Yazbek pleaded guilty to traveling from Norwood, MA to Nashua to meet with a girl he believed to be 15 years old in hotel.
Jean Fouad Yazbek pleaded guilty to traveling from Norwood, MA to Nashua to meet with a girl he believed to be 15 years old in hotel. (Nashua Police Department)

NASHUA, NH — The Massachusetts man who pleaded guilty in May to attempting to have sex with an underage girl in New Hampshire was sentenced to 24 months in federal prison on Monday. Jean Fouad Yazbek admitted to traveling from Norwood, MA to Nashua with the intent to have sex with someone he believed to be a 15-year-old girl, whom he had engaged in explicit discussions with on the internet.

The girl was actually an undercover detective in the New Hampshire Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force. When Yazbek, 63, arrived at a New Hampshire hotel on Oct. 8, 2018 to meet the person he had been exchanging the messages with online, he encountered law enforcement and was arrested.

According to court documents, Yazbek admitted that he had intended to engage in illicit sexual conduct, including sexual intercourse, with the girl. According to Yazbek, he had checked into a local hotel prior to his arrest, and his hotel room contained a brand new phone, a teddy bear, undergarments and a backpack containing shaving equipment, lubricant and condoms.

Find out what's happening in Nashuafor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"Yazbek thought he was traveling across state lines to have sex with a 15-year-old, but his fantasy came to an abrupt end when he found himself in handcuffs," said Jason J. Molina, acting Special Agent in Charge of Homeland Security Investigations Boston. "Today's sentencing should send a strong message to those who seek to sexually exploit children — state lines will not impede the efforts of the law enforcement community in safeguarding our children and bringing predators to face justice."

Yazbek gave written consent to search his hotel room. Officers later searched his hotel room and found the items described by Yazbek during his interview.

Find out what's happening in Nashuafor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The investigation began on Oct. 2, 2018 when the Task Force created an online persona of the 15-year-old girl and began receiving messages, including those from Yazbek on social media. Officials said Yazbek discussed his desire in those message to have sexual contact with the girl.

Yazbek previously pleaded guilty on May 14.

"Protecting the well-being of our children is a high priority of the law enforcement community," said U.S. Attorney Scott Murray. "It is disturbing that criminals are lurking online and seeking to prey upon children in the Granite State. Thankfully, this defendant’s efforts to victimize a young girl were thwarted by excellent law enforcement work. Predators who use the internet should be aware that law enforcement officers will be alert and watching. We will not hesitate to bring federal charges against those who threaten the safety of children in New Hampshire."

Related Stories: Nashua Police: Mass. Man Arrested In Child Sex Sting

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.