Crime & Safety
Ocean Co. Sex Offender Admits To Soliciting Nude Pics From Minor: Feds
David Frew of Little Egg Harbor convinced a minor to send him explicit images through an online messaging service, authorities said.
LITTLE EGG HARBOR, NJ — A previously convicted sex offender in Little Egg Harbor admitted to receiving images of child sexual abuse and coercing a minor to send him sexually explicit images and engaging in sexually explicit conduct online, the U.S. Attorney's Office said.
David M. Frew, 41, pleaded guilty Monday to one count of receipt of child pornography and one count of online enticement of a minor to engage in criminal sexual conduct, U.S. Attorney Philip Sellinger said.
Authorities said that in June 2017, Frew used an online messaging service to communicate with a minor victim, who sent Frew sexually explicit images at his request, Sellinger said.
Find out what's happening in Barnegat-Manahawkinfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Frew was previously convicted of three counts of unlawful contact with a minor and one count of criminal use of a computer in Pennsylvania in 2008, Sellinger said. At the time, Frew sent sexually explicit images or videos to who he believed to be minors, but were actually investigators in the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Child Predator Unit, according to authorities.
Also in 2008, Frew was convicted in New Jersey of endangering the welfare of children due to his possession of child pornography, authorities said.
Find out what's happening in Barnegat-Manahawkinfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Because Frew is a previously convicted sex offender, for his two charges he faces a minimum of 15 years for receipt of child pornography and 10 years for online enticement, with a maximum potential of life in prison and $250,000 fines for each charge, Sellinger said.
Frew is scheduled to be sentenced on Nov. 23, 2022.
Sellinger credited special agents of the Department of Homeland Security, Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), in Atlantic City, under the direction of Special Agent in Charge Jason J. Molina in Newark; the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) Technical Crime Unit; the RCMP National Child Exploitation Coordination Centre; the Ocean County Prosecutors Office, under the direction of Prosecutor Bradley D. Billhimer; and the Little Egg Harbor Police Department, under the direction of Chief James Hawkins, with the investigation leading to today’s guilty plea.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.