Crime & Safety

Teens Charged With Sexual Assault In Sayreville, N.J. High School Football Hazing Attacks

One or more juvenile defendants "improperly touched the juvenile victims in a sexual manner," according to the MCPO release.

Three teens face aggravated sexual assault charges arising from the attacks upon four victims in the Sayreville High School football hazing scandal, according to the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.

The complaints charge that on various dates, between Sept. 19 and Sept. 29, one or more of the juvenile defendants held the victims “against their will while other juvenile defendants improperly touched the juvenile victims in a sexual manner,” according to the MCPO release.

In one instance, one of the juvenile victims allegedly was kicked during an attack.

Find out what's happening in East Brunswickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The three students were charged with aggravated sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual contact, conspiracy to commit aggravated criminal sexual contact, criminal restraint, and hazing for engaging in an act of sexual penetration upon one of the juvenile victims, according to the the MCPO.

In a statement, Superintendent of Schools Richard R. Labbe said the Sayreville Board of Education “takes this matter extremely seriously and thus will continue to make the safety and welfare of our students, particularly the victims of these horrendous alleged acts, our highest priority.”

Find out what's happening in East Brunswickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The Sayreville district, which earlier this week canceled the top-ranked football program’s season, said the administration has launched a holistic harassment intimidation and bullying investigation of all athletic and extracurricular programs “in order to ensure that we take all steps necessary now and in the future to protect all our students.”

He said the district will continue to cooperate fully with the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office with respect to its ongoing investigation of the Sayreville War Memorial High School football program.

“In the ensuing days, weeks, and months, we will come together as a school district and greater community to harness the strength required to support the young men who may have been victimized and then to begin the healing process for our beloved community,” he said.

A total of six teens ranging in age from 15 to 17 years old, were detained by law enforcement authorities pending a Family Court decision on whether the youths will be held at a detention facility pending a court hearing, according to the MCPO.

They also could be released to the custody of their parents or guardians pending the hearing.

One juvenile defendant remains at large, according to the MCPO.

The defendants will be required to appear before a Superior Court Judge in Family Court, but the hearing date has not been determined. Juvenile hearings are not open to the public.

No other court hearings have been scheduled.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.