Crime & Safety
Freehold Man Crushed at East Brunswick Salvage Yard: Police
Breaking: The 22-year-old was crushed to death in a cardboard compactor last Thursday.

EAST BRUNSWICK, NJ — A man who was crushed to death at a salvage yard in East Brunswick last week has been identified as a Freehold resident.
Alvaro Esteban, 22, of Freehold was crushed to death in a cardboard compactor at the salvage yard on Edgeboro Road on Thursday, Dec. 8, East Brunswick Police Lt. Sean Goggins said Wednesday.
Esteban was an employee of Universal Processing, LLC, which does business as Atlantic Sales & Salvage yard, said Joanna Hawkins, a spokeswoman for Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which is investigating the accident.
Find out what's happening in Freeholdfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The accident happened just before 11:30 a.m. on Dec. 8, Goggins said. East Brunswick police, fire and EMS responded that day, but Esteban was pronounced dead at the scene.
Information on how Esteban wound up in the compactor was not available as authorities are still investigating, officials said.
Find out what's happening in Freeholdfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Wikimedia Commons image
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.