Crime & Safety

School District Letter Warned Of Child Luring Attempt In Monmouth County

The letter went home to parents on Sept. 9, reporting that a man in an SUV tried to get a student to get in his vehicle.

As news of an attempted child abduction in Brick Township spread Monday morning, parents in the Freehold Township School District are sharing a scare of their own: an attempted luring incident that occurred almost two weeks ago.

According to a letter sent to Freehold Township parents by assistant superintendent Neal Dickstein, dated Sept. 9.,

Twelve days ago, a student at Errickson Elementary School told authorities that a man in his 30s pulled up in a large sport utility vehicle and asked the student if he needed a ride home, according to the letter.

Find out what's happening in Freeholdfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The student ran away from the vehicle and upon arriving home, told his parents who contacted authorities, according to the letter.

The incident occurred between the school and Woodstock Lane, the letter said.

Find out what's happening in Freeholdfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Freehold Township police told the News-Transcript late last week that the boy was 9 years old and that the investigation is continuing.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.