Health & Fitness
Gloucester Twp. Coronavirus Deaths Go Up As County Corrects Data
For the second time in just over 2 weeks, a correction in the county's reported data has changed the number of coronavirus-reported deaths.
GLOUCESTER TOWNSHIP, NJ — For the second time in a little more than two weeks, Camden County corrected its data regarding number of deaths by municipality in the county. In Gloucester Township, that means even more fatalities than initially thought.
The number of confirmed deaths connected to the coronavirus in Gloucester Township is now 62 after the county announced four more deaths than previously believed on Wednesday.
On Sept. 21, the county had reduced the original number by 2, from 60 down to 58. No further information was available about the additional two deaths on Wednesday. Read more here: Gloucester Twp. Coronavirus Death Toll Shrinks As Numbers Updated
Find out what's happening in Gloucester Townshipfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
New Jersey Coronavirus Updates: Don't miss local and statewide announcements about novel coronavirus precautions. Sign up for Patch alerts and daily newsletters.
The correction was made for the second time in less than a month because patient information provided at the time of their passing is often incomplete and/or inaccurate, according to officials.
Find out what's happening in Gloucester Townshipfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The Camden County Health Department investigates every suspected death caused by the coronavirus for accuracy after it has been reported, officials said. Over the course of these investigations, the department has updated inaccurate records so that they contain correct, up-to-date information.
On Wednesday, the county also reported four more cases of the coronavirus in Gloucester Township, brining the official number of confirmed cases in the township to 1,108. Trace investigations are underway in all new cases.
The new Gloucester Township cases included a boy older than 10, a man in his 20s, a man in his 40s and a man in his 50s. They were among 38 new cases reported in Camden County, which now has 10,954 confirmed cases and 559 confirmed deaths.
“We are asking everyone to continue doing their part to protect those around them, and to prevent any additional unnecessary loss of life because of this virus,” Camden County Freeholder Director Louis Cappelli Jr. said. “As we prepare for flu season and colder weather, now is the time to take steps to reduce your potential exposure to coronavirus. Wear masks, social distance, and minimize gatherings with others. We can get back to normal, but we have to take this fight seriously to make sure that we get there.”
The Camden County Department of Health also announced 1,452 confirmed resident cases and 607 staff cases at the county's 56 long-term care facilities. As of Wednesday, 327 residents and three staff members have died as a result of the coronavirus.
See related: NJ Coronavirus, Reopen Updates: Here's What You Need To Know
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.