Crime & Safety
Teen Charged After Allegedly Lying About Hackettstown Kidnapping
If found guilty, she faces a year in a juvenile jail, prosecutors said.

HACKETTSTOWN, NJ — A Hackettstown teen has been charged after allegedly lying about being kidnapped, Warren County Prosecutor Richard T. Burke said.
The 17-year-old girl, who is not named, was charged with providing a false report to law enforcement stemming from the March 1 incident, Burke said. The girl reported to police that she had been kidnapped by a man while walking around Hackettstown after school.
"A week later, after a significant amount of resources were expended during this investigation, it was determined that the allegation about the abduction was false," Burke said.
Find out what's happening in Hackettstownfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The teen had told police that a man approached her from behind and "forced something over [her] mouth" which caused her to pass out. She told police she was put in a car and woke up later near the high school.
After she was arrested, the teen was released to her family. She could face up to a year in a juvenile jail if found guilty.
Find out what's happening in Hackettstownfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.