Politics & Government
Murderer Must Be At Sentencing, Court Rules
An Appellate Court opinion says Guiseppe Tedesco must be present Wednesday, March 20 for his sentencing and to hear impact statements from his victim's family.

Guiseppe Tedesco will sit in court Wednesday morning and hear the Ruggieri family explain how their world has been shattered since March 27, 2010.
Tedesco, convicted of killing Alyssa Ruggieri of Hopatcong nearly three years ago, is now required by law to be at his sentencing March 20 despite filing a request to be absent, according to nj.com.
Last week, Superior Court Judge Peter Conforti, , but the to write briefs explaining their cases.
Find out what's happening in Hopatcong-Spartafor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The opinion was published Monday afternoon, nj.com reported. “(The) defendant may not sue the waiver process to diminish in any way the victim’s well-recognized right to meaningfully participate in the criminal just system…” Appellate Judge Anthony Parrillo said in the ruling, according to nj.com.
Tedesco was found guilty on Jan. 10 after a month-long trial in which he claimed self-defense.
Find out what's happening in Hopatcong-Spartafor free with the latest updates from Patch.
With the verdict, Tedesco faces a maximum penalty of life in prison plus 20 years.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.