Community Corner

Donation Campaign Launched For 3 Children Of Murder-Suicide Victims

The three children — ages 14, 11, and 9 — escaped from the house their father, Scott Sabia, killed their mother, MIchele, at Wednesday.

An online campaign was launched Thursday to help the three children of the Carlstadt murder-suicide victims, Scott and Michele Sabia.

Scott killed Michele on the couple's front lawn Wednesday night with the children in the house, said Gurbir S. Grewal, Bergen County's acting prosecutor.

The children — ages 14, 11, and 9 — escaped from the house unharmed. Scott Sabia then killed himself. He had been battling depression for years and couple had been separated, but recently got back together, according to published reports.

Find out what's happening in Mahwahfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Related: Bergen Husband And Wife Dead In Murder-Suicide: Prosecutor

More than 300 people have donated nearly $21,000 since the GoFundMe campaign started.

Find out what's happening in Mahwahfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Joseph Bisone, a detective with the Jersey City Police Department, set up the donation page. Michele Sabia's brother, Peter Miragliotta, is also a detective with the department.

The money will be used to help family members raise the children. All proceeds will be handled by the family. The goal is to raise $50,000.

"To all those who give, no matter how much, there can be only the repayment of a good deed done, and to know that you have reached out and helped those who need it," Bisone said.

Email: daniel.hubbard@patch.com. Sign up for Patch N.J. email newsletters here.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.