Schools

BOE Silent on Seitz Overpayment Plan

Did the board ignore a deadline that could lead to the loss of state education aid?

Tuesday is the for the to present a plan to recover about $38,000 in alleged overpayments to schools Superintendent LeRoy Seitz. And as of the end of the traditional business day, there has been no announcement as to whether the board complied with the state's mandate.

Patch has made numerous attempts by phone and email to contact school board President Frank Calabria to discuss the matter, but he could not be reached and did not return messages. Several board members said that under law, only the president may speak for the body.

Interim Business Administrator Mark Resnick did not answer a Patch request for comment. Resnick told the Daily Record last week that from the Department of Education in writing for both himself and the members of the BOE. 

Find out what's happening in Parsippanyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The board's stance, articulated by Resnick to the Record, is that taking back money already paid out to an employee would violate the law.

before the BOE, under the threat of losing state aid for schools, bent to the state's will and cut the superintendent's salary to $177,500.

Find out what's happening in Parsippanyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Then the executive county superintendent ruled that Seitz owed the state nearly $38,000 and that the Parsippany school board had until Jan. 31 to come up with a plan to recover those funds.

Serafino's office has not responded to requests for comment.

Seitz refused to comment on the matter.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.