Schools

Secaucus High School Put On Lockdown; 2 Students Arrested

Breaking: Secaucus high school and middle school were searched; no guns were found. The school was placed on lockdown Friday.

SECAUCUS, NJ — At 1:23 p.m. Friday, March 9 the Secaucus Police Department responded to Secaucus High School on a report of a threat made by two students. As a result of that threat, the school was placed on lockdown. Two 14-year-old juvenile students, both of Secaucus, were arrested.

There were rumors circulating the town of Secaucus like wildfire Friday afternoon that guns had been found, but no weapon was ever found, said Mayor Mike Gonnelli. Both the high school and middle school were searched for weapons, and no weapon was found.

There had never been a credible threat there was a gun in the school, but the schools were searched anyway as a precaution, said town police.

Find out what's happening in Secaucusfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The teens were each charged as juveniles with one count of terrorist threats. Both juveniles have been immediately suspended from school.

"The Secaucus Police Department takes all threats seriously and although this lockdown may have caused some inconvenience, all appropriate police procedures were followed and there is no current threat," said Secaucus Chief of Police Kevin Flaherty.

Find out what's happening in Secaucusfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

To ensure the safety of all of the students a large police presence could be seen in and around the school all Friday afternoon. The lockdown lasted for the remainder of the school day.

Police did not reveal what exactly the threat said or how it was made. As Patch has reported, all Secaucus public schools have had full-time police officers manning them since the Valentine's Day Florida school shooting.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.