Crime & Safety

Ahead Of Memphis Video Release, South Brunswick PD Chief Sends Letter

Police Chief told residents the video from Memphis PD is expected to generate a lot of reactions & assured them of his department's conduct.

Tyre Nichols was killed during a traffic stop with Memphis Police on Jan. 7.
Tyre Nichols was killed during a traffic stop with Memphis Police on Jan. 7. (AP Photo/Adrian Sainz)

SOUTH BRUNSWICK, NJ — In anticipation of Memphis Police releasing video of Tyre Nichols' fatal arrest, South Brunswick Police Chief Raymond Hayducka has sent a letter to the community.

In the letter, Hayducka told residents that the video is expected to generate a lot of reactions and assured them of proper police conduct.

Nichols, 29, died on Jan. 10, three days after a confrontation with officers during a traffic stop in Memphis. The five police officers involved in the incident were fired and have been charged with second-degree murder and other crimes. More: DA: 5 Memphis Cops 'All Responsible' For Tyre Nichols' Death

Find out what's happening in South Brunswickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

In his letter, Hayducka said that he ensures all residents are treated with “integrity, respect and professionalism.”

“We instill these core Values from the moment an officer is hired and it is reinforced every day. I have made it abundantly clear that I expect my officers to always prevent any act of misconduct, and report any and every situation which they believe constitutes misconduct,” Hayducka said.

Find out what's happening in South Brunswickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“In addition, all South Brunswick officers are aware that they have a legal and moral duty to intervene in any unlawful act by another officer.”

Law enforcement agencies across the country are preparing and have put plans in place in case large-scale protests break out after the video release, reported CNN.

Widespread protests across the county were seen in 2020 after the death of George Floyd. More: Marchers Protest Racism, Police Brutality In South Brunswick

Hayducka said the local police department has taken tremendous strides in enhancing and improving police accountability.

“In 2021, with the support of our Mayor and Council a million-dollar investment was made to ensure every South Brunswick officer has Axon body-worn camera and Taser. In addition, 1,408 training were conducted on two nationally recognized de-escalation programs called ICAT and ABLE. This new equipment and training ensure that South Brunswick officers have the resources needed to handle evolving situations,” Hayducka said.

South Brunswick police department supervisors and command officers have been mandated to view body-worn camera videos every day.

“These meaningful reviews ensure our officers are meeting the highest standard of South Brunswick Police Department set by our policies and law. The videos have offered great examples of outstanding police work as well as assisted identifying training needs,” Hayducka said. More: VIDEO: Officers Save Unconscious Driver In South Brunswick

Last year, the police department handled 87,061 calls for service. In 11 cases officers used force, Hayducka said.

“That equates to .00012% of the cases. Each of those use-of-force incidents received the highest level of scrutiny with a command-level investigation. Each of those investigations is then forwarded to my office for my final determination,” the police chief said.

“Those cases were all found to meet the highest standards as set forth by the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office and the South Brunswick Police Department policy.”

Hayducka also shared the police department’s annual reports so residents can review them. He also welcomed open conversations and question. Residents can contact the police chief’s office at (732) 329-4000 ext. 7461 with questions about the police department.

Early on Friday, Memphis Police Chief Cerelyn "CJ" Davis said she was "disgusted,"horrified," and "sad" after watching video of the traffic stop that led to Nichols' death.

"In my 36 years I would have to say I don't think I've been more horrified and disgusted, sad and to some degree confused," Davis told ABC News.

Have a correction or news tip? Email sarah.salvadore@patch.com

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.