Crime & Safety
UPDATE: Prosecutor Seeks Waiver to Try Millburn Teen Driver as an Adult
The 17-year-old Millburn resident who drove the Jeep Cherokee that struck Ari Vuotila's car faces 10 to 30 years in prison if he's tried as an adult.
The Millburn teenager charged with aggravated manslaughter in connection with a Jan. 27 automobile accident that killed a 39-year-old South Orange man could face 10 to 30 years in prison if he's tried as an adult.
The case will be tried in Family Court, according to Paul Loriquet, a spokesman for the Essex County District Attorney's office. The state is seeking a waiver to have the 17-year-old tried as an adult. If tried as a juvenile, the maximum he would serve is four years in a youth detention facility.
The teen, whose name has not been released because he is a juvenile, was driving a Jeep Cherokee that crashed into a Nissan Versa driven by 39-year-old Ari Vuotila. The accident occurred at the intersection of Long Hill Road and Parsonage Road in Millburn.
Find out what's happening in South Orangefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The 17-year-old turned himself in to the Millburn Police Department on Wednesday, accompanied by his attorney, Michael D'Alessio, who didn't return messages seeking comment for this story.
News of the charges was welcome to Vuotila's family and friends, who have waited since January to see what would come of the investigation. His close friend Hannah Roberts said they had been in contact with the prosecutor assigned to the case, calling every couple of weeks for updates, but had tried to back off to give him space.
Find out what's happening in South Orangefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
According to Vuotila's mother, Viola, the prosecutor visited her South Orange home on Tuesday night to inform her of the impending arrest, but she was in the basement and didn't answer the door in time. He left his card and visited again the following day, and she slept well on Wednesday night for the first time in recent memory. "I feel that Ari is getting justice," she said.
She intends to appear in court when the dates are set and believes that the decision to seek a waiver to try the teenager as an adult is just. "If you're older and you have a driver's license, then you are responsible," she said.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.
