Crime & Safety
UPDATED: South Orange and Livingston Police Prepared for Friday
A "Hell Night" event posted on Facebook invites teens to the mall and to South Orange

Updated at 6:45 p.m. Thursday: The Facebook page listing the event now reads, Event Cancelled.
Police are monitoring social media sites, including a Facebook page called “Hell Night at Livingston Mall,” to prepare for a suspected flash mob at the mall on Friday night, according to a spokeswoman at the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office. The "event" mentions South Orange as a destination after the mall closes.
Sgt. Al DiEsso of the South Orange Police Department said that local law enforcement is prepared. "The South Orange Police Department is monitoring the situation and is aware of it," he said. "We have made preparations to deal with any circumstances that arise."
Find out what's happening in South Orangefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The crowd anticipated in Livingston is the latest in a series of teen-organized gatherings using text messages on cell phones or social media sites. Some of the flash mobs are coordinated over a period of time, through e-mail, social media sites like Facebook or MySpace and text messages.
The gathering of large groups in a public space isn’t against the law, said Kathy Carter, public information officer for the Essex County Prosecutor's Office. However, county law enforcement have been working with local police this week on a plan if indeed a large group gathers and laws are broken , she said.
Find out what's happening in South Orangefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The mall “event” has been posted on Facebook as a public event inviting more than 1,000 “friends” to gather at the Livingston Mall on Friday, between 6:30 and 9:30 p.m. on Friday, March 4.
The page says: “The Gardens And The Ville. All Went Wrong With An Invasion Of Teenagers. But NOW IS STRIKE THREE! BE THERE!” Nearly 300 teens say they intend to come, according to the response list on the Facebook page.
The Ville is South Orange Village, where last month. Businesses locked their doors and three youths were arrested for disorderly conduct, a village official said. “The Vill,” and “The Ville” on the social media sites.
The vast majority of the teens come from out of town, traveling to the Village by train and bus, according to South Orange police. The teens come from Newark and Irvington, predominantly.
The social media gatherings have also taken place at Jersey Gardens Mall.
Livingston Police declined to comment but said they were aware of the Facebook page.
Meanwhile, residents in Livingston have been sending email messages to their own contacts warning them to stay away from the Livingston Mall on Friday night. “This is NOT the night to go to the mall and more importantly it is important to keep our kids AWAY from the mall,” the concerned residents say in the email message.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.