Sports

Barber, Kalimtzis Advance to State Wrestling Tourney

Wrestlers to take to mats in Atlantic City starting Friday.

For wrestlers, the celebration of qualifying for the NJSIAA Wrestling Tournament isn’t a long one. The focus returned to the mat Monday for Westfield High senior 152-pounder Christian Barber and junior 103-pounder Mike Kalimtzis, who are the last two Blue Devils standing.

Monday both found out who they would face Friday night in the preliminary round of the state tournament at Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall. Preliminary round bouts begin at 5 p.m. with pre-quarters to start at about 7 p.m.

Quarterfinals and first round of consolation bouts start 10 a.m. Saturday, followed by a second round of consolations at noon with semifinals and consolation quarterfinals at 5 and consolation semifinals at 7.

Find out what's happening in Westfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Consolation rounds for third, fifth and seventh places begin at 10 a.m. Sunday with the state championship round to start at about 2 p.m.

It all starts Friday.

Find out what's happening in Westfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Barber, 36-1, will open with Becton-Wallington senior Tyler Mealy (33-7) in a prelim with the winner facing the survivor of the bout pitting Hammonton junior Philip Bakucka and Bergen Catholic freshman Johnny Sebastian in the pre-quarterfinal round. Barber, beaten 5-4 by Brearley senior Devin Geoghegan in Saturday’s Region III final, is making his second trip to Atlantic City.  Last year, Barber made his first qualification at Atlantic City as a third-place region 140-pounder, but lost 8-6 in the preliminary round to Willingboro’s James Green, who went on to finish second.

“Everybody there is good,’’ said Westfield coach Glen Kurz. “We just have to be a little better in that first round. Christian definitely has his work out. I think it’ll be an interesting match between him and the Hammonton kid. Chris beat him three times during the summer.’’

Looking ahead, Barber could face Jefferson senior Mike Monarque, who he also beat during the summer. A possible semifinal bout could pit Barber against Brick Township senior Conor Brennan, who Barber beat 5-3 Jan. 30 at the annual New Jersey Coaches Wrestling Association All Star Meet at Brick Memorial High.

“All of those guys will be battling; I think there are 12 kids who can go (place) one through eight on a different day,’’ Kurz said.

Kalimtzis, 32-3, beaten by Seton Hall Prep sophomore Brenden Calas in the region final, will face Lower Cape May sophomore Zach Valcarce. The winner will meet the winner of the Joseph Ghione (Brick Memorial)-Matt Coons (Woodbridge) in the pre-quarterfinal round.

Kalimtzis’ opponent is so far from Westfield, that you may think that there isn’t a common thread. But there is.  

Valcarce lost 12-5 to Paulsboro sophomore John Gentile, who lost 10-7 to Roselle Park sophomore John Devito, who lost 5-2 to Kalimtzis at the Union County Tournament.

It’s a reach, but it’s all Kurz and Kalimtzis have to go on.

“It gives me a little look, but you have to wrestle every match like it’s the same,’’ said Kalimtzis, who earned his 75th career win in the region semifinal against Delbarton freshman Christian Innarella.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.