Crime & Safety

16-Year-Old Indicted In Shooting At Suffolk Baby Shower

The teenager shot and seriously injured the uncle of the expectant mother, DA says.

The teenager was charged with assaulting another relative and for shooting the uncle in the leg, the DA said.
The teenager was charged with assaulting another relative and for shooting the uncle in the leg, the DA said. (Renee Schiavone/Patch)

BAY SHORE, NY — A Bay Shore teenager was indicted Friday after prosecutors said he shot a man at a baby shower last month, seriously wounding his leg.

Javier Soto, 16, was charged with first-degree assault, second-degree assault, second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, and criminal possession of a firearm, Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond Tierney said.

On Sept. 3, Soto attended a baby shower celebration in the backyard of a Bay Shore home. A fight broke out in the front yard as families were attending the party.

Find out what's happening in Bay Shorefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Vincent Peredaviz, 61, of Astoria, the uncle of the expectant mother, rushed to the front of the house where he saw another relative being physically attacked by several other party guests, including the Soto's girlfriend, prosecutors said. The parents of the expectant mother also witnessed the attack.

The fight was broken up by the guests, who remained in the front yard.

Find out what's happening in Bay Shorefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

A few minutes later, Soto returned to the front yard and shot the uncle at close range two times, prosecutors said.

A bullet struck the man’s leg, leaving him seriously hurt. He was taken to South Shore University Hospital in Bay Shore where he underwent emergency surgery.

Soto was arrested the same day, officials said.

“A baby shower should be a joyous occasion celebrating the coming of new life. Here, the defendant allegedly risked lives and shot a party guest with an illegal firearm,” said Tierney. “Fortunately, there were no fatalities. However, someone was seriously hurt, and now the defendant will face justice for his alleged senseless act.”

He was jailed without bail and expected back in court Nov. 14.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.