Crime & Safety

East Islip Man Convicted in Hit-and-Run That Seriously Injured Man

The 58-year-old faces up to eight years in prison.

An East Islip man was convicted on Tuesday for a hit-and-run in East Islip last year, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office.

After a five day trial, a jury convicted 58-year-old Charles Santjer on charges of leaving the scene of a crash and tampering with evidence, according to the DA.

He could face up to eight years in prison.

Find out what's happening in Islipfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

In April 2015, Santjer struck a pedestrian, 50-year-old Jimmy Rice, of Brentwood, who was crossing Carleton Avenue in East Islip around 3:30 a.m., the DA said.

Rice suffered severe head trauma due to the accident, the DA said.

Find out what's happening in Islipfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

During the course of the investigation detectives matched a headlight lens cover found at the crash scene to the Santjer's 1999 Ford F-150 pickup, the DA said.

When questioned, he told investigators he had thrown away what was left of his damaged headlight. Santjer was arrested in June 2015.

According to the DA, Rice continues to "cope with the consequences of his brain injuries."

Santjer is due back in court on Sept. 28. He is currently free on $25,000 bail.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.