Crime & Safety

New Service Alerts Residents to Local Changes in Sex Offender Registry

Residents can stay updated by receiving automatic alerts from the state-run sex offender registry.

If you've ever logged onto the state sex offender registry, it was likely because you were moving into a new area or caught a mention on the nightly news.

But if you don't check back, important changes can be missed. According to the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services, registry staff processed nearly 31,000 address changes last year, and on average, 170 new offenders are added to the registry each month.

Now there is a free state-run service that allows residents to receive automatic alerts when the database changes.

Find out what's happening in Larchmont-Mamaroneckfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The alerts, which can be sent via e-mail, text message or fax, will show whenever a Level 2 or Level 3 sex offender listed on the Division of Criminal Justice Services website moves into or out of a community or location indicated.

You can sign up by visiting NY-Alert  and enrolling as a user.

Find out what's happening in Larchmont-Mamaroneckfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The Larchmont-Mamaroneck area is currently listed as the home of one registered sex offender and the workplace of two others.

Information on the three offenders, as retrieved from the official state-run registry:

  • Jonathan Romero, born March 26, 1986, living at 196 Grand St., Mamaroneck. He was convicted on Nov. 20, 2002, for first-degree sodomy. His victim was a 12-year-old male. Risk level: 2. Romero was arrested twice in the past three years for failing to comply with sex offender registration, authorities said.
  • Willie Britt, born October 4, 1958, and listed on the database as employed by a car dealership at 2500 Boston Post Rd. in Larchmont. The company says he doesn't work there. He was convicted April 8, 1988, for attempted first-degree sodomy. Victims: 10 and 7-year-old males. Risk level: 3
  • Otis Harris, born Jan 16, 1982, listed as employed at 620 Fifth Ave., Larchmont. The company was unable to confirm his employment. Convicted June 25, 1998, for first-degree sexual abuse of a 42-year-old. Risk Level: 3.

Risk level 1 indicates a low risk of repeat offense, risk level 2 indicates a moderate risk of repeat offense, and risk level 3 indicates a high risk of repeat offense and a threat to public safety.

More details can be found here.

Concerned residents may also look on the Family Watchdog, a national, federal-run registry site.  

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.