Crime & Safety
LI Man Accused Of Sexually Abusing Boy, 6, Indicted: DA
He reportedly sexually abused the boy and bit his face during a house party,DA says.
MEDFORD, NY — A Medford man was indicted Thursday after he reportedly sexually abused a boy, 6, and bit his face at a house party less than two weeks ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney said.
Milton Jiron-Lara, 53, of Medford was indicted on charges including first-degree criminal sexual act, a violent felony; first-degree sexual abuse, a violent felony; second-degree assault, a violent felony; third-degree assault, a misdemeanor; and endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor, Tierney said.
According to the investigation, on June 24, Jiron-Lara attended a celebration at a neighbor’s home, the DA said. In the early morning hours on June 25, Jiron-Lara reportedly snuck into a bedroom of the home where the boy was sleeping; once inside the room, Jiron-Lara bit the boy’s face twice, leaving bruises on both cheeks, Tierney said.
Find out what's happening in Medfordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Jiron-Lara then sexually assaulted the boy, and told the child not to tell anyone what had happened, the DA said. The child disclosed the abuse later that morning when his mother noticed the bruising on his cheeks, Tierney said.
During the police investigation, evidence corroborating the reported attack was recovered from the bedroom where the boy had been sleeping, Tierney said. Law enforcement also recovered home surveillance camera footage that showed Jiron-Lara entering and leaving the neighbor’s home, where the child was staying, Tierney said.
Find out what's happening in Medfordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Jiron-Lara was arrested on June 26, Tierney said.
On Thursday, Jiron-Lara was arraigned on the indictment before Supreme Court Justice Richard Ambro, who ordered Jiron-Lara held on $250,000 cash, $500,000 bond, or $2.5 million partially secured bond, Tierney said.
If convicted of the top charge, Jiron-Lara faces up to 25 years in prison, Tierney said. Jiron-Lara is due back in court on July 26, and is being represented by Greg Kalmar, who did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
"This defendant allegedly assaulted a defenseless child and then tried to silence him," said Tierney. "Thankfully the child bravely disclosed to his mother what had allegedly occurred after she noticed the bruising on his cheeks. If any parent or guardian suspects their child may be the victim of abuse, I urge you to contact the Suffolk County Police Department or my office’s Child Abuse Unit."
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.