Crime & Safety
Mount Vernon Man Sentenced In Attempted Murder Case
His victim was shot about seven times, police said.

MOUNT VERNON, NY — A Mount Vernon man will be going to prison for attempted murder. Westchester County District Attorney Anthony A. Scarpino, Jr. announced today that Marc Seward, 26, of 9th Avenue in Mount Vernon, was sentenced by Judge Anne Minihan to six years in state prison after having pleaded guilty to second-degree attempted murder, a felony, in the shooting of Markel Overton. Scarpino said, on or about Aug. 9, 2015, at approximately 2:50 a.m., Overton was in the vicinity of 523 South Fulton Avenue in Mount Vernon when he was shot multiple times by Seward.
Mount Vernon Police Officers who were on patrol at the time of the shooting heard multiple gunshots coming from the area. (For more information on this and other neighborhood stories, subscribe to Patch to receive daily newsletters and breaking news alerts.)
Mount Vernon Police were then notified by Mount Vernon Hospital personnel that the victim was at the hospital. They learned that Overton had been shot approximately seven times.
Find out what's happening in Mount Vernonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
An investigation by Mount Vernon Police which included the use of surveillance video from a nearby business was part of the evidence in this case leading to the defendant’s arrest.
The defendant was remanded into the custody of the New York State Department of Corrections.
Find out what's happening in Mount Vernonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Photo caption: Marc Seward. Photo credit: Westchester County District Attorney's Office.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.