Community Corner

Suffolk DA Tests Positive For Coronavirus, Remains Asymptomatic

District Attorney Timothy Sini has been self-quarantined and working from home for the past week.

SUFFOLK COUNTY, NY — Despite being asymptomatic, Suffolk County District Attorney Timothy Sini was found to have the coronavirus, according to a report in Newsday. The positive result came in Monday night after he spent the past week working from home under self-quarantine.

Click here to read the full story on Newsday.

Last week, Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone also went under mandatory quarantine at home after two high-ranking members of the county's senior leadership team were confirmed to have the virus. Bellone had been self-isolating at home since last Saturday night when Suffolk County Deputy County Executive Peter Scully was confirmed positive for coronavirus; he is in mandatory isolation at home. He didn't have classic symptoms like as coughing but did have chills and a sore throat, Bellone said.

Find out what's happening in Patchoguefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

On Thursday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo stated that the peak number of cases of the new coronavirus is expected to be higher than initially thought and could be just two weeks away — far earlier than initially predicted. The number of cases stands Tuesday at 25,665 across New York State; there are 3,234 people hospitalized statewide and 756 in ICU, he said.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.