This post was contributed by a community member. The views expressed here are the author's own.

Business & Tech

Summit Scheduled in Light of Tree Removals

Developer chops down trees on Port Blvd., upsetting residents.

The removal of a row of trees alongside a shopping complex on Port Washington Blvd. has left many local residents fuming. Now, they are calling for a town meeting to discuss the issue.

"In this town where people are such environmentalists, you can't take down 18 trees in an hour and think that people aren't really going to notice," said Mindy Germain, executive director of Residents for a More Beautiful Port Washington. "It struck such a nerve. I can't tell you how many calls and emails I got."

The trees were chopped down as part of a redevelopment process of the shopping plaza located between Main Street and Campus Drive. Victor Musso, who is heading the redevelopment, says that the tree removal was performed in accordance with New York state law and that he had not violated any rules. Because Port Washington Blvd is a state road, the street trees are not within the authority of the town ordinance.

Find out what's happening in Port Washingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"We originally had applied to the Town of North Hempstead for a tree removal permit," Musso said.  "The town responded in early June with a letter stating that all the trees were within the New York state line of way with that regard to the portion of the sidewalk. The only jurisdiction that has authority to issue a permit for that is the New York State Department of Transportation. We did everything in accordance and by the book."

The tree removal took many of locals by surprise. According to Germain, people are appalled by the lack of communication between the developer and the community. Despite the fact that the removal was conducted in accordance to proper procedure, Port residents say they should also be informed.

Find out what's happening in Port Washingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"Had the Town ordinance applied, there would have been a mechanism in place for prior community notification and for verifying the health of the trees prior to their removal," said Residents for a More Beautiful Port Washington in a statement.

Musso understands the frustration of some of the residents and intends to work with the community to make any changes he can and to determine which kind of trees would best be suited for the location.

"There are some residents that are upset and I expect that," he said. "I don't take any chances when it comes to trees. I know how sensitive the residents are. We do plan on putting trees back."

In the aftermath, Residents has called a meeting with elected officials from every village, town and state level to address the issues. From the meeting, the organization hopes to determine if any ordinances can be put in place to ensure that the community is well-informed and that there is an evaluation of a tree before its removal.

"We asked anybody that has jurisdiction over any streets on the peninsula to come," Germain said. "It just feels like there wasn't enough procedure in place, and so that's why we are having a meeting. Every one of us is looking forward to it. So far I have had yeses."

Germain said that she also has assurances from State Senator Craig Johnson and Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel, who told her that they will be looking into the incident.

"The governing body thinks it's a great idea and they've thanked the Residents for putting this together," Germain said. "We have to come forward and figure out how to prevent this from happening again."

The summit is scheduled to take place on August 10 at 8:00 a.m. at the Community Chest Board Room.  

The views expressed in this post are the author's own. Want to post on Patch?