Crime & Safety
DA: Sachem-Area Father and Son Part of Brooklyn to Suffolk Heroin Ring
19,000 glassine envelopes of heroin packaged for street sale have been seized, DA says.

Eight people have been arrested and 19,000 glassine envelopes of heroin packaged for street sale have been seized, according to Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota.
Following an investigation by the district attorney’s Heroin Task Force in conjunction with New York State Police, Spota will announce details of the Brooklyn to Suffolk heroin ring on Monday morning, but here’s what is known so far:
Find out what's happening in Sachemfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Richard Bruno Jr., 26, of Holbrook, and his crew of resellers allegedly dealt heroin and cocaine in Westhampton, Selden, Centereach, Stony Brook and Babylon, Spota said.
Bruno’s 59-year-old father, Richard Bruno Sr., who faces drug possession charges, allegedly stored much of the heroin in the attic of his Farmingville home for his son.
Find out what's happening in Sachemfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Bruno Jr. is in jail in lieu of $1.5 million cash bail as are alleged heroin reseller Bryan Koppelman, 32, of Selden, and Jonathon Rincon, 26, the Suffolk network’s Brooklyn supplier, Spota said. Koppelman and Rincon will be arraigned Monday in Riverhead.
At a news conference Monday, the district attorney’s office says exhibits will include the seized heroin, cocaine, crystal methamphetamine, anabolic steroids, cash, assault-style semiautomatic weapons and a defaced handgun seized by task force investigators during the execution of search warrants.
SCDA photos: Richard Bruno Jr. (L) and Richard Bruno Sr.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.