Sports
Wrestlers Take First Tourney Win of Year
Coach says everyone contributed to the win, including junior varsity wrestlers.
After placing second at last year's Eric D'Agnese Somers Tournament, it's safe to say the Bears were thrilled with their win today.
Brewster coach Tom Looby spoke to Patch on the bus ride home from the tournament Thursday afternoon.
"It was nice to come back this year and win it," Looby said, speaking over the excited shouts and laughs of the boys. "We're happy with how all the guys wrestled."
Find out what's happening in Southeast-Brewsterfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Out of the 26 Brewster wrestlers who participed in the two-day tournament, six, including eighth-grader Nick McGill, walked away with first-place victories.
Bruno Albertassi, a 189-pounder, won his match on a takedown in overtime.
Find out what's happening in Southeast-Brewsterfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Beyond the six first-place wins, Brewster picked up second, third, fourth and fifth place wins. The team, which was one of eight schools represented, was able to double enter the tournament, meaning junior varsity wrestlers participed too.
"All of the guys contributed to the win," Looby said. "It was a good team effort."
Brewster's next match is at home on Tuesday at 4:30 against Carmel.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.
