Crime & Safety

Police ID Fourth Person Found Dead in a Week in Brentwood

BREAKING: The remains were found in Brentwood earlier this week.

Police have identified the set of human remains found in Brentwood earlier this week.

The remains were identified as 15-year-old Miguel Garcia Moran, who was reported missing back in February

Moran's remains were found on Wednesday in a wooded area west of Emjay Boulevard and north of the Long Island Rail Road tracks, according to police.

Find out what's happening in West Islipfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Police believe that Moran's death, as well as the killings of 15-year-old Nisa Mickens and 16-year-old Kayla Cuevas, who were found dead near Stahley Street and Ray Court on Sept. 13, and 19-year-old Oscar Acosta, whose remains were found in a wooded area west of Emjay Boulevard last Friday, are all tied to gang activity.

RELATED: After Brutal Murders of 2 Teen Girls, Guardian Angels To Commence New Patrol

Find out what's happening in West Islipfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

At a conference on Wednesday, Suffolk Police Commissioner Tim Sini said that a possible suspect in the murders, a violent gang member operating in the Brentwood community, is currently in federal custody.

The identity of the gang member has not yet been released.

"The Suffolk County Police Department stands with the Brentwood community," Sini said on Wednesday. "It's a beautiful, resilient community that has made unbelievable progress in the last several years and the Suffolk County Police Department is committed to some basic objectives in this point in time."

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.