Politics & Government

RNC Selection Committee Picks Charlotte For 2020 Convention

The Queen City's selection comes just days after the Charlotte City Council narrowly approved support of hosting the event.

CHARLOTTE, NC — Charlotte was chosen by the Republican National Committee as the host city for its 2020 convention in a unanimous vote by its selection committee in a unanimous vote Wednesday, according to numerous reports. The news comes just two days after the Charlotte City Council narrowly voted to support the city’s bid to host the RNC event.

The development puts Charlotte in line to be the city where President Donald Trump will receive a nomination for a second term, at the Spectrum Center, which is where President Barack Obama was also nominated for his second term in 2012, The Charlotte Observer pointed out.

Charlotte’s bid to host the event will thrust the Queen City into a national spotlight, which has also created a deep divide in the community. In a vote that was distilled down to a battle between a massive influx of tourism dollars versus condemnation of contentious Trump Administration policies, Charlotte City Council voted 6-5 on July 16 to support the event in the event the city was selected.

Find out what's happening in Charlottefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The RNC is expected to finalize its decision on location for the 2020 summer event Friday, July 20.

SEE ALSO: Charlotte City Council Meets To Debate Contentious RNC Bid

Find out what's happening in Charlottefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The city's bid for the event has stirred plenty of controversy, from the benefit of an economic windfall countered by the costs it would push onto tax payers for extra police and emergency service, to the potential for opening the door to civil unrest.

According to Charlotte Mayor Vi Lyles and others in favor of bringing the event to the Queen City, hosting such an event would bring an tourism dollars to the city and show an embracing of diversity. "This is a wonderful opportunity to showcase our city, our region and our state to the world," Lyles said earlier this year as the city considered making a bid for the event.

City leaders against the idea, however, cited divisive policies and statements from Donald Trump as reason enough to reject the event.

Subscribe to Charlotte Patch's free email news alerts and newsletters

"To have our city open our arms to that and have this man and his supporters be in our taxpayer-funded arena and convention center and championing that type of rhetoric I think would be inappropriate," Council member Justin Harlow said, according to WFAE.

SEE ALSO: Charlotte Considering Bid For 2020 Republican National Convention

Six years ago, Charlotte hosted the Democratic National Convention, which city officials said brought about 35,000 visitors to the city, along with an estimated economic impact of $163 million

Las Vegas was the only other city making a bid for the 2020 RNC event.

That lack of competition for host city should raise red flags, Charlotte entrepreneur Dan Roselli told city officials, according to the Charlotte Observer. Roselli was one of about 100 community members who spoke before the city council took up debate Monday afternoon.


Photo via Shutterstock

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Charlotte