Politics & Government
Hellertown Seeks Public Input on Reinhard Site Plans
The old Reinhard School building in Hellertown will be demolished as soon as the borough has written approval from the state to tear it down.
The held a public workshop on Oct. 20 that gave residents an opportunity to provide suggestions about what they think should be done with the site of the former Reinhard Elementary School.
The Northampton Street school, which was built in 1910 and expanded in the 1950s, .
Hellertown Borough Councilman Tom Rieger, who led the meeting, said he had received six e-mails before the meeting suggesting reuses such as a community garden, a bandshell, a skatepark and a sports facility.
Find out what's happening in Hellertown-Lower Sauconfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
“Unfortunately our history is dying in this community,” said area resident Stephanie Brown. “I’m sad to see Reinhard go--to lose a piece of history. If it isn’t about aesthetics or property value in this area no one wants anything to do with it.”
“I went to school there, too. I remember playing on the playground,” Rieger said. “No one wants to forget. In Hellertown, we are very proud of the history we have.”
Find out what's happening in Hellertown-Lower Sauconfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Rieger explained that there had been several meetings over the past few years about the building, but the borough could not afford to keep paying to maintain the building (which cost about $65,000 to $85,000 per year) or to upgrade it (cost estimates ranged from $2 million to $8 million). Also, he said it would not be feasible to bring the building up to today’s codes.
“I don’t think we jumped into anything,” he said. “There were several council meetings (about the issue) in the fall of 2009.”
Rieger explained that the Reinhard site can only be redeveloped by the borough if it is redeveloped for public use. Acceptable uses would include parks, playgrounds, athletic fields, a community center, a municipal complex, a police building and more.
Brown questioned the idea of having more recreation in the area.
“With all the talk of recreation in the area, what more do you want? How many recreational opportunities do you need in such a small community?” she asked.
Rieger explained that recreation is just one of many uses that can be explored for this site.
In addition, he said a decision will not be made quickly, because there are a number of studies being conducted that could influence how the site will be used. Among the studies underway are , , , updates to the borough's zoning ordinance and .
Rieger said the borough is also keeping an eye out for any grants that could be put toward this project.
The borough is currently waiting for written approval to begin the demolition process.
Hellertown Borough Manger Cathy Kichline said the building will be demolished in stages. There will be no blasting. She said updates will be available on the borough's website, www.hellertownborough.org.
Another meeting about reuse ideas for the Reinhard site will be held sometime next year.
The following is a timeline outlining the decision to demolish Reinhard:
- In the spring of 1999, the vacated the building and leased it to Second Chance Academy, a charter school for troubled teens.
- In 2006, the lease with Second Chance Academy ended and the building was vacated once again.
- In March of 2008, options for remedying the building's structural deficiencies were examined and about eight options were presented to the borough, with costs ranging from $2 million to $8 million.
- On June 9, 2009, the building was declared uninhabitable.
- In January 2010, Hellertown Borough Council voted to ask for bids to demolish the building.
- In April 2010, Hellertown awarded a bid for $150,000 to demolish the building.
