Politics & Government
Township Officials Describe Storm Damage at Meeting
The freak Oct. 29 snowstorm that blacked out most of the Saucon Valley also had a devastating impact on Lower Saucon Township's trees.
The that dumped more than half a foot of snow on Lower Saucon Oct. 29 has had a devastating impact on the township's trees, it was announced at Township Council's Nov. 2 meeting.
In discussing the aftermath of the freak snowstorm, Township Manager Jack Cahalan reported that 300 to 500 trees requiring clean-up or removal by the township were brought down by the heavy, wet snow that fell. He contrasted that number with the 67 trees that were felled by in August.
Cahalan estimated that--including those that fell on private property--a total of 3,000 to 4,000 township trees were damaged or destroyed in the Oct. 29 snowstorm.
Find out what's happening in Hellertown-Lower Sauconfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
For that reason, residents who are able are being encouraged to bring branches and other plant debris to the Saucon Valley Compost Center, which will be open for extended hours through Nov. 13.
The center, which is located at 2011 Springtown Hill Road, is normally open Fridays and Saturdays from 9am to 1pm during the fall months.
Find out what's happening in Hellertown-Lower Sauconfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Hours of operation will now be temporarily extended to 9am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday (this weekend and next weekend), and 7am to 3pm Monday through Friday, Nov. 7-11.
Council president Glenn Kern estimated that without residents' help in bringing debris to the compost center, it could take until the spring to fully clean up the branches and leaves that now line the sides of most roads.
Meanwhile, Hellertown officials are also encouraging residents to help bring materials to the compost center if they are able.
An announcement posted on the borough's website as of Thursday said: "The Borough is doing its best to clear the fallen brush from the streets and public right of ways, however this will take time. Any residents who are able (are asked to) please bring any fallen brush on your property to the Compost Center."
At the township council meeting, Cahalan said the township has so far spent about $9,000 in overtime costs associated with clean-up from the storm. He added that the township hopes to be reimbursed for that by the county.
On Halloween Day, two days after the storm, a total of 22 township roads were still closed as a result of downed trees and power lines. However, all township roads had reopened by the morning of Nov. 3.
As of 4pm on Nov. 3, about 350 township homes and businesses remained without power, according to PPL's online outage center. The website at that time indicated that 13,505 Lower Saucon customers had had their power restored since the storm struck.
Note: Patch editor Josh Popichak also contributed to this article.
