Crime & Safety

422 Fatal Racing Suspect Wants Bail

The man charged with two counts of third degree murder in the triple-fatal 422 racing crash wants to remain free until his trial.

NORRISTOWN, PA — The suspect in the fatal Route 422 racing crash appeared in court this week and said he is not a risk, and that he desires bail, according to a report.

The Times Herald reports that Evaughn-Sha Antonio Walters, 21, wants a lower bail so that he can remain free until his trial. A hearing on the matter is scheduled for July 31.

Walters faces two counts of third degree murder in connection with the incident which led to three deaths: Anthony Rodriguez, 23, Marissa Kelly, 20, and Kelly's unborn child, the DA's office said.

Find out what's happening in Pottstownfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Walters was racing against Shone Santiago, 22, who was arrested just before Walters back in May.

The pair were racing at speeds at least in excess of 120 miles per hour when Santiago lost control of his BWM and crashed through a guard rail, landing the car on its hood at the bottom of a ravine, officials said.

Find out what's happening in Pottstownfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The speed limit on that section of 422, which is a work zone, is 40 miles per hour.

"A murder charge is not the typical charge in a vehicular homicide," District Attorney Kevin Steele said last week. "But the sheer indifference to the value of human life and the recklessness displayed by these defendants rose to that level."

A cell phone video showed Santiago and Walters racing on Route 100 at speeds in excess of 140 miles per hour just minutes before the fatal crash.

Deputy District Attorney Thomas W. McGoldrick is prosecuting the case.

Image via Montgomery County District

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.