Crime & Safety
2 Rhode Island Men Sentenced For Elder Abuse
"These crimes are particularly insidious as elderly victims are often reluctant to come forward," Attorney General Peter Neronha said.
PROVIDENCE, RI — Two Rhode Island men were sentenced for committing elder abuse. Angel Fernandez, of North Providence, and Carlton Vose, of Pawtucket, were both sentenced to prison at the Adult Correctional Institution in Cranston.
According to Attorney General Peter Neronha's office, Fernandez pleaded no contest to one count of domestic assault of a person over 60, resulting in serious bodily injury. Last week, he was sentenced to 20 years in prison, with 11 to serve and the rest suspended with probation. He was additionally ordered not to have any contact with the victim and complete a batterer's intervention program as well as mental health and substance abuse evaluations.
Fernandez was first arrested in December 2017. According to Neronha's office, he assaulted his domestic partner of more than 20 years, stabbing the victim in the throat and causing serious injuries.
Find out what's happening in Cranstonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
On Feb. 18, Vose was sentenced after he was found guilty of six counts of abuse or neglect of an adult with serious impairments. He received a five-year sentence, with two to serve, as well as was ordered not to have any contact with the victim, attend counseling and pay a $1,000 fine.
During his trial, prosecutors showed that between January and November 2015, Vose "willfully and knowingly" refused to provide assistance to his elderly mother, who suffered from dementia. The police were called on six different occasions throughout the year after the woman was found lost and wandering in the street. She was removed from the house and Vose's care on Nov. 3, 2015.
Find out what's happening in Cranstonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"Like all crimes against older Rhode Islanders, who are some of the most vulnerable members of our community, these crimes are particularly insidious as elderly victims are often reluctant to come forward," Neronha said. "Sentences like these are necessary and appropriate. Victims should know they are not alone and that when they come forward, this Office, through our Elder Abuse Unit, will seek justice for them."
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.