Crime & Safety

Police Bust Men With Fraudulent Gift Cards Worth Thousands

East Providence Police Department vice unit officers arrest two New York men after stopping a rental car on Route 195.

Two suspects carrying thousands of dollars worth of fake gift cards were arrested last week by the East Providence Police Department vice unit.

Sherlyn J. Oplan, 29, of the Bronx in New York City, was charged with 147 counts of forgery and counterfeiting and 138 counts of conspiracy, according to Lt. Raymond Blinn of EPPD in a news release.

Luc J. Beaubrun, 25, an ex-convict out of Brooklyn, NY, was charged with 138 counts of forgery and counterfeiting and 138 counts of conspiracy, Blinn said. He has an extensive criminal record in multiple states, including drugs and firearms charges.

Find out what's happening in East Providencefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

East Providence vice unit officers stopped their vehicle on Friday, March 29, on Interstate 195 East for a routine motor vehicle violation, said Diogo Mello of the vice unit.

"We do a lot of highway work," said Mello.

Find out what's happening in East Providencefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Officers learned during the stop that the vehicle was a rental car and that neither man was listed on the rental paperwork for the car. Police are unsure if the vehicle was stolen, said Mello.

Both men also gave inconsistent stories to the police about their relationship with each other, Mello said. One of the suspects also had an active warrant from another state.

Officers searched the vehicle after getting permission. They found more than 100 assorted Visa, Mastercard and American Express gift cards valued in the thousands of dollars and linked to stolen credit card numbers "in a factory void in the center console," Mello said.

The officers recognized the situation to be consistent with fraudulent activities and took the suspects to the police station for further questioning.

Police confirmed that all the gift cards were fraudulent after consulting with the United States Secret Service, Mello said. Both men were arraigned in District Court on Monday and held on $100,000 surety bail each in the Adult Correctional Institutions (ACI).

A bail hearing will take place in 10 to 14 days, said Mello.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.