Weather

Louisiana Floods: 6 Killed, Thousands Rescued as Rain Begins to Subside (PHOTOS)

The record flooding in Louisiana has forced thousands out of their homes.

At least six people have died and thousands have been evacuated from their homes as deadly flooding continues to ravage Louisiana. Major interstates remain closed and thousands are without power or cellphone service as the storm moves to the west.

In a press conference Sunday, Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards said more than 7,000 people and 500 pets had been rescued from across the state. Close to 5,000 people spent the nights in shelters and one person remains unaccounted for as authorities continue their response effort. A woman's body was recovered from a flooded vehicle Sunday in East Baton Rouge Parish, marking the sixth flood-related fatality, the Baton Rouge Advocate reported.

Edwards has requested a major federal disaster declaration from FEMA for all parishes affected by the flooding. The governor once again stressed the importance of staying off flooded roads and urged residents to comply with any evacuation orders.

Find out what's happening in Across Americafor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Dozens of motorists remained stranded on I-12 as the road was closed due to flooding. Louisiana State Troopers continue to provide assistance to those stranded on the interstate, bringing food and water to those in need and continuing efforts to remove the stranded drivers. Officials have told residents to check 511 for the latest and most accurate information on road closures.

Local officials across the state continue rescue efforts to aid residents affected by the floods. Shelters have been opened, and anyone with an emergency is asked to call 911 directly. Any residents who encounter a busy signal due to the high volume of calls are encouraged to call again. The National Guard hopes to alleviate the duties of local officials and give them some rest.

Find out what's happening in Across Americafor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Preliminary information released by the National Weather Service shows anywhere between 4-21 inches of rain was recorded in the state, with 21.86 inches of rain recorded at the Livingston Station. Rivers came close to or crossed previously set record crest levels. According to the NWS, the Amite, Comite, Tickfaw and Tangipahoa rivers all reached record levels. The Amite and Pearl rivers are still rising, with crests forecast of anywhere between 8-21 inches. In an area forecast discussion, the NWS said the main concern remains the Amite River crest as it moves downstream from Denham Springs toward Lake Maurepas.

"Major flooding," as categorized by the NWS, is concentrated in the Baton Rouge area.

Cell phone service is said to be out in the Baton Rouge and Livingston area, WWLTV reported. An AT&T spokesperson confirmed the outages due to the flooding. The company said it has technicians staged in the affected areas and will begin restorations as soon as areas are safe to access.

A flash flood watch for areas west of I-55 remained in effect until 4 p.m. Sunday, and the NWS had predicted 2-4 inches of rain, with locally higher amounts possible. Scattered rain and isolated thunderstorms were still affecting the state Sunday, but heavy rain did not linger too long in the areas experiencing record flooding. As the storm moves west, rain chances are expected to decrease during the work week, but a cold front moving into the south may enhance rain chances again next weekend.

Residents shared photos and videos of the flood-ravaged state.

Main Image via Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.