Politics & Government

County Crews Still Cleaning Up After July 3 Storm

Downed trees, limbs will be turned into mulch for public, private use.

Arlington County crews already have removed 265 tons of debris – about 100 truckloads – left from the July 3 storm that ripped through the area, and could spend the rest of the month finishing the cleanup.

Limbs and other debris from the storm are being recycled and will be available for public and private use.

The storm, a microburst, that hit Arlington on the eve of the Fourth of July produced winds between 60 and 80 mph. The storm itself lasted only about 30 minutes, but when it was over, more than 7,000 households were without power.

Find out what's happening in Clarendon-Courthouse-Rosslynfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

County Manager Barbara Donnellan gave a report to board members Tuesday on the storm and the county’s work to recover from it.

“It was devastating to see what damage could be done in such a short period of time,” she said.

Find out what's happening in Clarendon-Courthouse-Rosslynfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The microburst primarily affected the northern part of the county, including the Rock Springs, Old Glebe, Old Dominion and Donaldson Run civic association areas, Donnellan said.

Despite the intensity, none of the county’s critical infrastructure was damaged and no injuries or fatalities were reported.

The storm swept through at about 6 p.m. July 3. Immediately after, more than 7,000 homes were without power – mostly north of Lee Highway – and 17 utility poles had broken.

Twenty-four hours later, 2,875 households were without power. By the next night, the number of people without power dropped to 450, and by Thursday, July 7, power was completely restored, according to Donnellan’s report.

The county has a plan in place to encourage underground utilities, and negotiates with developers to bury lines when new construction site plans are approved – particularly in densely populated areas, said Assistant County Manager Shannon Flanagan-Watson.

However, underground lines remain a block-by-block phenomenon because of the cost. Burying a line cost $1,500 per linear foot, Flanagan-Watson said.

Seventy-three trees were reported down on the Fourth of July. Most major roads had been cleared within 24 hours, Donnellan stated.

Between 6 and 10 p.m. July 3, the county received 405 calls for service. The average number of such calls on a Sunday evening in that timeframe is about 150, according to Donnellan’s report.

Four homes were damaged to the point where the county deemed them unsafe to occupy. Seven more suffered “significant damage,” the report states.

Five Arlington Alerts were issued over July 3 and 4.

Despite the massive amount of brush already removed, the county received 355 new requests for debris removal on Monday alone, Donnellan said.

Crews have been directed to remove whatever debris they see, she said. 

"I look at this as an opportunity to remind people to think about where you are… and to stay informed, and to look to the county for information," Donnellan said. “I hope that is the end of the storms for the summer, but you never know.

Caroline Temmermand, Parks and Natural Resources Division chief, said the county is turning the collected trees, limbs and other debris into mulch.

The county will use the mulch on trails and in play areas, or residents can pick it up for private use for free. Residents can pay to have mulch delivered, Temmermand said.

To make a brush collection request, click here or call 703-228-6570. That number also can be called to learn more about picking up mulch for personal use.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Clarendon-Courthouse-Rosslyn