Crime & Safety

Suspect In Hoover Bank Robbery Captured By FBI

A man who is suspected of robbing banks in Alabama and Florida was captured last week.

HOOVER, AL - A suspect in several bank robberies that span throughout Florida and Alabama has been captured. Myron William Ernst, a 60-year-old South Carolina man, has been identified as the suspect in a holdup at Regions Bank in Montgomery last week and Regions Bank in Hoover last month.

A report by Alabama Media Group said Ernst has been on the run since September when, according to federal documents, he cut off his electronic monitoring device while on probation in a string a bank robberies a decade ago. FBI officials said he was captured Thursday afternoon in Lakeland, Florida.

Related Story: Regions Bank Robbery Suspect Sought by Hoover PD

Find out what's happening in Hooverfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

At 11:18 a.m., October 22, the Hoover 911 Center received a report of a robbery at Regions Bank, located at 1592 Montgomery Highway.

According to the Hoover PD, responding officers arrived within two minutes but the suspect had already fled. The white male suspect presented a note to the teller, demanding money, and implied that he had a gun, although one was not observed. He took an undetermined amount of cash and was last seen on foot walking southbound.

Find out what's happening in Hooverfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The Montgomery robbery last Wednesday at the Atlanta Highway branch. According to Montgomery police, the suspect entered the bank about 11 a.m., produced a threatening note demanding money and then fled on foot.

Ernst was released from federal prison in August after pleading guilty in 2010 to robbing six banks, including heists in Charleston, Orange Park, Fla., Huntsville and Montgomery, Mobile and Panama City.

According to federal court records, Ernst was living in South Carolina and, as part of his probation, working at Origin Point Brands, a manufacturer and distributor of steel and aluminum. His electronic monitoring device showed he left his home between Sept. 22 and Sept. 26, however his probation officer learned he had been fired from his job on Sept. 21.

Photo via Hoover PD

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Hoover