Crime & Safety
Man Pleads No Contest To Fatal Half Moon Bay Crash
Angel Gabriel Gongora-Mis is accused of striking 44-year-old Half Moon Bay resident Edward Wade.

HALF MOON BAY, CA -- A 30-year-old man pleaded no contest Tuesday to felony hit-and-run causing death for hitting and killing a bicyclist on state Highway 1 near Half Moon Bay last year, prosecutors said today.
Angel Gabriel Gongora-Mis is accused of striking 44-year-old Half Moon Bay resident Edward Wade on April 29, 2017, on northbound Highway 1 near Furtado Lane.
Wade was knocked off his bike and died, and his bicycle was caught underneath Gongora-Mis' vehicle as he drove away from the scene. San Mateo County sheriff's deputies found him about a mile away with the bicycle still caught under his car, prosecutors said.
Find out what's happening in Half Moon Bayfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Gongora-Mis claimed he did not know he had struck a bicyclist and thought he had merely hit a guardrail, according to the district attorney's office.
Prosecutors delayed filing charges for about nine months because of a long investigation into the collision that did not find any evidence of alcohol or drug use or inattention due to cellphone use.
Find out what's happening in Half Moon Bayfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Gongora-Mis entered the no contest plea on the condition of a sentence of up to one year in county jail with no state prison time. The plea agreement was with Judge Stephanie Garratt rather than prosecutors, who had
sought a sentence of up to two years in state prison.
The defendant will return to court on Nov. 8 for sentencing. He remains out of custody on $60,000 bail. His defense attorney Maria Fonseca was not immediately available to comment on the case.
--Bay City News/Shutterstock image