Schools
Shooting Threats Prompt Extra Security At 3 San Diego Co. Schools
Education officials in San Diego and Vista said none of the threats are credible but that they were being investigated.

SAN DIEGO COUNTY, CA – Students and staffers at several San Diego-area intermediary and secondary schools went about their day amid heightened security Thursday due to unsubstantiated shooting threats.
The extra campus vigilance and law enforcement presence at Vista High School in the North County and at Madison High and nearby Innovation Middle School in San Diego were precautionary responses to threats that were not considered credible, authorities said.
School officials notified parents about the security measures Wednesday, a week after a Valentine's Day shooting spree left 17 people dead at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.
Find out what's happening in San Diegofor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Vista High School Principal Anthony Barela informed families of the threat to his campus in a phone message that was also posted online.
"I am calling to let you know that ... we were informed of a social media post and speculation of a possible school shooting (Thursday)," Barela said. "While there is no credibility to this threat and nothing to substantiate a threat to Vista High School, as a precaution there will be extra law enforcement on site tomorrow. Law enforcement is actively investigating this threat."
Find out what's happening in San Diegofor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The administrations of the two schools to the south issued similar alerts concerning unsubstantiated threats.
"In light of the events at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School last week, I want to communicate that we are actively investigating a potential threat to our campus that was posted on social media," Madison High Principal Richard Nash stated in a message to parents, adding that school police did not believe that the online comments represented any real hazard.
Innovation Middle School Principal Nicola Labas sent out a nearly identical message to families, according to 10News.
Additionally, early Thursday afternoon San Diego police detained a Torrey Pines High School freshman to question him about threatening statements he might have made, SDPD public-affairs Officer Billy Hernandez said. Details on the nature of those alleged suspicious remarks were not made public.
The unsubstantiated threats were just the latest in a series of such incidents this week. On Monday, officials at San Marcos High School alerted parents to a social media posting that some students perceived as a shooting threat to the school. Though it turned out to be a reposted news story about a South Carolina teen arrested for making a threat at his campus, officials the local schools requested extra security on as a precaution on Tuesday.
That same day, there was also a heightened police presence at High Tech High Media Arts after a the discovery of a threatening graffiti scrawl at the Point Loma charter school.
Threats to schools have surged following the latest campus killing spree in Florida, according to school and police officials. While most have turned out to be substantiated, at least one may not have been. In the Los Angeles-area community of South Whittier, sheriff's deputies last week found a cache of guns at the home of a student who allegedly had been overheard saying he intended to carry out a shooting at the school.
ALSO SEE:
- 'Threatening' Graffiti Found At High Tech High
- School Shooting Threat Increases Security At San Marcos High
By City News Service