Crime & Safety

Suspect In Bridgeport Assault Case Apprehended By U.S. Marshals: Police

The suspect, who police say has an extensive criminal history, was captured last week in the Bronx, New York, according to authorities.

BRIDGEPORT, CT — A 45-year-old man wanted in connection with the assault of a woman in Bridgeport was arrested Friday morning in the Bronx, New York by U.S. Marshals, authorities said.

Frank Moreno was wanted on a Bridgeport warrant charging him with second-degree assault, interfering with an emergency call and sixth-degree larceny, according to police.

The arrest stemmed from an incident on May 6 on Bond Street in Bridgeport. Police received reports of a woman outside covered in blood and asking bystanders to call police. Detectives later determined Moreno allegedly assaulted the woman inside her apartment using his hands and a beer bottle before fleeing on foot with her cellphone, police said.

Find out what's happening in Bridgeportfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Authorities said Moreno was on federal probation and had recently been released from prison at the time of the alleged assault.

Following his arrest Friday, Moreno was remanded to federal custody. Police said he is expected to be extradited to Connecticut at a later date to face the Bridgeport charges.

Find out what's happening in Bridgeportfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"Frank Moreno has a long history of arrests in New York for violent robbery and firearms charges, including illegally possessing a machine gun," wrote Bridgeport Police Det. Jeffrey A. Holtz in a statement.

The arrest involved the Bridgeport Police Detective Bureau, the U.S. Marshals Service, federal courts in New York and the U.S. Attorney’s Office in New York, authorities said.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.