Schools

Glastonbury School Board Delaying New Security Hires

The new security guards won't be hired until the school board deals with $800,000 cuts to their original proposed budget.

Despite already having interviewed new security guards for approved school security upgrade, school officials are waiting to hire anyone until the board of education finalizes $800,000 in budget cuts later this month.

"We are delaying employment offers until it is clear that these security positions can be supported next year," Assistant Superintendent Matthew Dunbar said during Monday's board of education meeting.

The board of education initially passed a $94.7 million budget, with $500,000 set aside for additional security measures at the the district’s six elementary schools and sixth-grade school, Gideon Welles School.

But last month the town council voted to reduce the school's hoped-for budget by $800,000, leaving the school board searching for cuts. The new security guards could be on the chopping block, board members said.

The cuts will be determined later this month.

Are you a fan of Glastonbury Patch? Then show us the love by following us on Facebook or Twitter! It's the best way to get updates on all the latest news and information in Glastonbury as it happens.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.