Crime & Safety
NHPD Charges Against Randy Cox, Paralyzed In Police Custody, Dropped
Civil rights lawyer Ben Crump called the decision made Wednesday at a scheduled hearing in New Haven court "absolutely the right one."

NEW HAVEN, CT — A well-known civil rights attorney representing New Haven man Richard "Randy" Cox, who was paralyzed in police custody, said the decision Wednesday to drop charges against Cox was "absolutely the right one."
Cox, who was arrested on June 19 at a Juneteenth block party, was thrown about in a police paddy wagon, resulting in paralysis and then, while unable to move, was manhandled by officers at the police jail, video shows and the city and police department admit.
He was facing felony and misdemeanor charges of breach of peace, threatening, weapon possession, court records show. The CT Judicial Branch website has not been updated as of Wednesday evening.
Find out what's happening in New Havenfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
In a statement emailed to Patch, Ben Crump said the "decision to drop the charges against Randy was absolutely the right one, considering how gravely he was injured while in police custody and how obviously these officers had biases against him.”
“When watching the video of the incident that left Randy Cox paralyzed, anyone can discern that these officers had preconceived notions about Randy and his character," Crump said. "The officers did not believe Randy when he said he couldn’t move after being thrown against the wall of a van, and accused him of drinking too much," Crump said. "The New Haven Police Department handled this incident horrifically from start to finish, and now they must answer for their conduct."
Find out what's happening in New Havenfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker, who has acknowledged that the officers' conduct was unacceptable, and who visited Cox in the hospital, told Patch that a dismissal of the charges against him was the correct move.
"As a person that saw what happened to Randy Cox after he was in custody, and the fact that he may be paralyzed for life, I think dropping the charges was the right decision,” Elicker said
Cox, 38, was arrested for allegedly carrying a weapon and other charges. While handcuffed in a seatbeltless police van en route to the police department's detention center, he suffered a serious head injury that resulted in a broken neck. Officer Diaz, driving at around 36 MPH in a 25 MPH zone, stopped short to avoid a crash, which sent Cox flying, slamming head first into the van wall.
Caution: The video may be disturbing to view for many as Cox cries for help
A series of "disturbing" and graphic videos from police body-worn cameras, and other video footage, show that police officers ignored Cox's cries that he believed his neck was broken, paralyzing him. The jail officers manhandled Cox, as seen on video, as they processed him on charges, and then dragged his body into a holding cell.
Caution: The video may be disturbing to view for many
Cox is suing the cops and the city for $100 million.
Being sued are the officers involved, paddy wagon driver Oscar Diaz, and the officers seen on video pushing, pulling and dragging a paralyzed Cox, Betsy Segui, Ronald Pressley, Jocelyn Lavandier and Luis Rivera.
Crump, with local attorneys R.J. Weber III and Louis M. Rubano, filed the action in U. S. District Court late last month.
The complaint reads that the cops' actions left Cox with a cervical spine injury/fracture, permanent paralysis below his neck, contusions, abrasions and injuries to his muscles, ligaments, tendons and bones; permanent scarring; chronic and permanent respiratory condition; a compromised immune system; chronic and permanent health conditions related to immobility; permanent atrophy of the muscles; a shortened life expectancy; and associated physical pain and suffering.
The civil action notes that it was the police officers' negligence that has led to great physical and emotional pain, including, but not limited to, mental anguish, frustration, and anxiety over the fact that he was and remains injured.
Read more about the Richard "Randy" Cox case from Patch
- Paralyzed In Paddy Wagon, Randy Cox Sues City, 5 Officers For $100M
- 'Disturbing' Videos Emerge After Man Paralyzed In Police Custody: PD
- 3 More Cops On Leave As State Investigates Man Paralyzed In PD Custody
- Civil Rights Lawyer Crump To Represent Man Paralyzed In PD Custody
- Freddie Gray Invoked By Lawyer For Man Paralyzed In Cop Transport Van
- After Alders Unanimous OK, Jacobson Sworn In As New Haven's Top Cop
- Tamika Mallory Joins Friday March For Justice For Richard "Randy" Cox
- Justice Department Keeping Eye On Randy Cox Case, Says US Attorney
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.