Politics & Government
Proposal for Border Tolls 'Dead,' Says Ridgefield's Marconi
Ridgefield's chief exec says Governor Lamont told him "there will be no border tolls—or tolls of any type—in the Danbury area"....
RIDGEFIELD, CT — A proposal to place tolls at Danbury's border with New York on Interstate 84 is dead, according to Ridgefield First Selectman Rudy Marconi.
Marconi confirmed with Governor Ned Lamont on Saturday, Oct. 19, during his visit to Ridgefield, that general tolling on Interstates 84, 95, 91, and the Merritt Parkway will not be implemented as was originally planned, according to a release from the Office of the First Selectman.
This was confirmed again during a call with the governor’s office on Oct. 29, Marconi said.
"This means there will be no border tolls—or tolls of any type—in the Danbury area and no possible diversion of traffic into Ridgefield due to tolls," Marconi said in the release.
The only tolling currently being contemplated is for superstructures like a new bridge or other similar features that require large-scale construction, the first selectman said.
"In those instances, any tolling would be local to the project and would remain in place only until the bond was paid off."
In a largely ceremonial gesture, the Danbury City Council passed a resolution earlier this month opposing any proposal to install tolls on Connecticut highways. The resolution followed examples set earlier in Sherman, Trumbull, Stamford, Chesire and Enfield.
The prospect of tolls loomed large in Marconi's reelection campaign, which the first selectman acknowledged in the news release:
"There has been a lot of talk about tolls and state government during this campaign," Marconi said. "I hope we can now put this issue aside and focus on Ridgefield."