Health & Fitness

Coronavirus Wilton: Schools Prep For Possible Distance Learning

In a letter to parents, Wilton school officials discussed their plans to postpone the SATs, prep online access, and restrict building use

WILTON, CT — In a letter delivered to parents on Monday night, school officials provided parents with the answers to what they say are among the most frequently asked questions about the district's response to the new coronavirus. The letter was signed by Superintendent of Schools Kevin J. Smith, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction Charles Smith; and Director of Human Resources and General Administration Maria Coleman.

On the subject of whether the Wilton resident who has the first presumptive positive case of COVID-19 is a parent of children in the school system, the officials wrote that they were not privy to the patient's name, address, occupation, or marital status. "Our information comes directly from the Wilton Health Department, and the only confirmation that we have received is that we should keep schools open," school officials said in the letter. "In addition, it is important to note that these processes are overseen by state and local agencies, and based on the information available to them at this time, we do not have reason to believe that holding school currently poses a risk to our students or staff."

Related: 1st CT Resident Tests Positive For Coronavirus, Lives In Wilton

Find out what's happening in Wiltonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The schools made the decision last week to postpone school-sponsored activities through this Friday, and took the opportunity to clarify that those activities included "special events, field trips, clubs, activities, intramurals, and athletics (with the exception of tournaments that cannot be rescheduled and would lead to forfeiture)." The schools will continue to hold before and after-school childcare through Wilton Continuing Education because "we recognize that parents depend on this service to meet their childcare needs, and we view it loosely as an extension to the school day." The decision about possible postponements past March 13 will be made this week, the officials said.

The decision to keep school in session was made in consultation with medical experts, the letter said. The schools have, however, been advised to "limit non-essential activities that bring students and/or adults together. Doing so helps to reduce the possibility of exposure by reducing opportunities for exposure to illness."

Find out what's happening in Wiltonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

In consultation with the director of facilities, custodial supervisor and the Wilton Department of Health, school officials made the decision Monday to suspend the all use of school buildings outside of the school day, through Friday. The presence of personnel in the buildings after-hours would impact the district's ability to perform the deep cleaning procedures recommended by health officials.

Related: Town of Wilton Adopts Tough CDC Protocols

The SAT exam scheduled to be administered at Wilton High School this Saturday has been postponed, according to the letter. "For those students who were registered to take the test, we are in communication with the College Board and will have information in the coming days about where and when they can take the test," officials said.

The letter detailed the criteria that school nurses will use to determine whether or not to send a student home from school:

  • Fever of 100 degrees or higher
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea greater than one time
  • Severe sore throat
  • Severe earache
  • Conjunctivitis (pink eye) with discharge
  • Symptoms that prevent student from participating in learning: Excessive tiredness or lack of appetite, headache, body aches, productive coughing

The letter also detailed the cleaning products and procedures adopted by the schools' custodial and bus staff, as well as the cleanliness precautions and protocols they are teaching to students.

The schools are laying the groundwork for a transition to online instruction, in the event that the buildings must be closed. "These plans leverage the use of technology in grades 3-12 to mitigate potential disruptions in learning. In grades Pre-K-2, staff are preparing hard copy developmentally appropriate materials for students to take home with them in the event of a school closure," officials said. School staff is scheduled to be trained in the telelearning procedures after school on Wednesday.

The schools will also be maintaining an online resource for information related to the coronavirus on their website.

Don't miss updates in Connecticut concerning the Coronavirus as they are announced. Sign up for Patch alerts and newsletters.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.