Business & Tech
Celebrity Chef José Andrés: Ivanka Not Behind After-Party Removal
Andrés had called out Franco Nuschese, the owner of Cafe Milano in Georgetown, and said Ivanka Trump might be behind Andrés's removal.

WASHINGTON, DC — After José Andrés hinted that President Donald Trump's daughter Ivanka might've been the driving force behind his removal from an after-party at the Cafe Milano in Georgetown, the celebrity chef now says that apparently wasn't the case at all. It was just a "misunderstanding."
Andrés called out Franco Nuschese, owner of the restaurant, on Twitter early Sunday saying Andrés was a guest at the annual Alfalfa Club dinner on Saturday night, but wasn't allowed to attend the after-party. Andrésinsinuated Ivanka Trump might have asked Nuschese not to let him attend. Andrés has had several disputes with the Trump family over the years.
But apparently, it was all just a misunderstanding and Ivanka had nothing to with it.
Find out what's happening in Washington DCfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Ivanka reached out to Andrés, he said, and now Andrés believes she "personally had nothing to do" with his forced removal.
"Let’s now work on what’s important: Immigration reform, where #DACADreamers and Undocumented citizens will become part of a strong USA," Andrés tweeted Sunday. "With secure borders. With economic growth."
Find out what's happening in Washington DCfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
He also thanked the restaurant and Franco for apologizing.
"I understand was a 'misunderstanding,'" Andrés tweeted. "Still hard to understand why I was the only person not allowed in! Please people of @washingtondc keep supporting a great resturant institution. Now let’s all be friends. #USAforward."
The restaurant tweeted that the chef is "always welcome" when it's open and said it would host Andrés and toast to all his "successes."
"I am sorry for the misunderstanding. Last night the restaurant was closed for a private Alfalfa Dinner after party. Of note, the dinner and after party are different guest lists. Also, Ivanka Trump had no role on determining event attendees. Franco."
Jorge Guajardo, politician and diplomat from Mexico who previously served as the country’s ambassador to China, confirmed on Twitter that Andrés was at the dinner and said the celebrity chef was "asked to leave" by Nuschese. Guajardo said Andrés presence apparently made Ivanka feel "uncomfortable."
Ivanka had walked in ahead of Andrés, Guajardo said, and he was inside the event when he was asked to leave.
"Already inside. He’s approached and asked to come outside where Franco, who he knows perfectly well for many years, wants to talk to him. Once outside, he’s not allowed back in," Guajardo tweeted.
The restaurant is located on Prospect Street NW, near Wisconsin Avenue NW.
Andrés owns multiple restaurant chains and has had multiple disputes with the Trumps in the past.
He and the Trump Organization settled a nearly two-year long court battle after Andrés decided in 2015 to pull out of a lease to open a restaurant at the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C. That decision stemmed from Donald Trump’s comments during his presidential campaign that Mexican immigrants were drug dealers and rapists.
After Hurricane Maria, Andrés's World Central Kitchen provided more than 2 million meals across storm-ravaged Puerto Rico. He has been an outspoken critic of President Trump's handling of disaster aid to the American territory, much of which remained without power for months.
More recently, Andrés offered a free lunch at any of his restaurants to all the winners of President Trump's so-called "Dishonest and Corrupt Media Awards."
Thank you @CafeMilanoDC Franco Nuschese! I was a guest of the #alfalfaclubdinner2018 “everyone”welcome to the after party, but I’m the only individual not allow in? Is because @IvankaTrump told you so? You should be ashamed of yourself Franco.@washingtonpost pic.twitter.com/iJ5wQM18Z6
— José Andrés (@chefjoseandres) January 28, 2018
In a new low for Washington, yesterday @chefjoseandres was asked to leave the Alfalfa dinner after-party at @CafeMilanoDC by its owner, Franco Nuschesse, apparently because his presence made Ivanka Trump uncomfortable (Cafe Milano is the watering hole of the Trump Admin).
— Jorge Guajardo (@jorge_guajardo) January 28, 2018
Photo credit: Jason Kempin/Getty Images for American Express Platinum
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.