Crime & Safety
Stonecrest Walmart Evacuated For Bomb Threat
The store was one of three Walmarts in metro Atlanta that received such threats on Thursday.
STONE MOUNTAIN, GA -- The Walmart at Stonecrest Mall was evacuated Thursday due to a bomb threat.
It was one of three metro Atlanta Walmarts that received similar threats Thursday. The other two locations were on the 6000 block of Jonesboro Road and on Howell Mill Road in Atlanta.
DeKalb County Police spokesman Maj. Stephen Fore confirmed that a bomb threat had been called in to the Stonecrest Walmart at about 1 p.m.
Find out what's happening in Stone Mountain-Lithoniafor free with the latest updates from Patch.
He said it had been evacuated Thursday afternoon and that, as of about 3 p.m., nothing had been found.
A Walmart spokeswoman said at about 3:20 p.m. that all three stores had received the all-clear and were re-opened.
Find out what's happening in Stone Mountain-Lithoniafor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"Police officers were called and swept the stores but found nothing in each case," spokeswoman Leslee Wright said in an email. "The affected stores are now open for business."
(Photo via Wikimedia Commons)
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.