Crime & Safety

Cops 'Confident' In Medical Examiner's Ruling In Driver's Death

Oak Forest police responded to questions about the determination that one driver in a two-car crash earlier this month took his own life.

OAK FOREST, IL — An investigation into an August 3 crash in Oak Forest is still open, but police have said they are confident in the medical examiner's ruling that the driver of one car involved took his own life.

Fred Nayou, 28, of Cincinnati was pronounced dead at the scene of a two-car crash at 159th and Cicero on August 3. The Cook County Medical Examiner determined the next day that Nayou had died by self-inflicted gunshot.

Family and friends of Nayou have questioned the ruling, with some who knew the family calling for additional examination and more investigation. Patch has been unable to reach the family for comment.

Find out what's happening in Oak Forestfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"At this time, we have nothing more to add and are not going to get into the specifics of the case," Det. Sgt. Ryan Burnett said in an email to Patch. "After a very thorough investigation, we are confident in the medical examiner’s ruling."

The crash was under investigation by Oak Forest Police, with the assistance of the Suburban Major Accident Reconstruction Team and Illinois State Police Crime Lab.

Find out what's happening in Oak Forestfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The case will remain open until all evidence is returned from the Illinois State Police Crime Lab, Police Chief Jason Reid told Patch.

"We are confident in the medical examiner's ruling and have nothing further to note at this time," Reid said.

Anyone who is struggling can get help by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or by texting HOME to 741741.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.