Crime & Safety
Lawyer Ends Bid To Toss Confession In Colts Player, Man's Deaths
Attorney for the man accused in the death of Colts player Edwin Jackson and Uber driver Jeffrey Monroe ends bid to dismiss confession: More

INDIANAPOLIS, IN -- Attorneys for Manuel Orrego-Savala, the man accused of killing Indianapolis Colts player Edwin Jackson and his Uber driver Jeffrey Monroe during a February drunken-driving crash have ended their push to have his confession thrown out in the case, AP News reports. Attorney John Tompkins told a Marion County judge Tuesday that he's withdrawn a motion to suppress Manuel Orrego-Savala’s statements to a state trooper after the Feb. 4 crash in Indianapolis, according to the news report.
Orrego-Savala, a Guatemalan man living in the U.S. illegally, faces four felony charges in the crash along Interstate 70 that killed Jackson and Monroe.
Patch previously reported that according to investigators, Orrego-Savala admitted he was driving the pickup truck involved in the crash, while his attorneys previously argued he wasn't read his rights and therefore his confession shouldn't be allowed.
Find out what's happening in Indianapolisfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
More from Patch on this story:
- Orrego-Savala's Attorney Files Motion To Dismiss Confession
- DUI Suspect In Death Of Colts Player Was 2 Times Over Limit: Cops
- Edwin Jackson, Indianapolis Colts Linebacker, Killed On I-70
- DUI Crash Suspect That Killed Colts Player Was In U.S. Illegally
- Donald Trump Calls Death Of Colts Edwin Jackson 'So disgraceful'
- Man Arrested In Crash Killing Colts LB Charged In Boone Co. Case
AP News adds that deputy prosecutor Ryan Mears says Orrego-Savala’s attorneys can seek to have his confession thrown out in the future.
Find out what's happening in Indianapolisfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Photo credit: Indiana State Police
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.