Former students, and a few neighborhood supporters came out to a rally organized by Todd and Hedy Ross and the "Save KMES" campaign this morning at the second day of Kemp Mill Elementary School's Open House.
The protesters want Montgomery County Public Schools to remove Floyd Starnes as principal, citing harrassment complaints by staff members and allegations that Starnes coached a student into writing a statement that a teacher had inappropriately touched the 4th grader. The teacher, Daniel Picca, was suspended and recommended for dismissal.
Much like Thursday's event, Save KMES supporters stood separated only by the property line and the hill that leads up to the school from teachers and - briefly Starnes himself - welcoming students and parents to the school. Two Montgomery County police cruisers with were stationed across the street from the rally.
Find out what's happening in Wheatonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Several teenagers, themselves graduates of Kemp Mill Elementary came to hold signs and hand out whistles.
"It's very obvious that Mr. Picca was not given his due process," said Liam Brennan, a Northwood High student who graduated from Kemp Mill. Brennan said that bullying had been problem at Kemp Mill when he attended.
Find out what's happening in Wheatonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Gabby Cottili, another Kemp Mill grad, said she had found out about the rally through Facebook and the Save KMES website.
Hedy Ross said that the scheduling of the event had prevented more parents from attending.
"It's small turnout, but it's quality people." said Todd Ross, as he handed out flyers at the far entrance to the school.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.
