Crime & Safety

Boston Marathon: Police Commissioner Not Running After Brussels Attack

William B. Evans thinks it wiser to focus on marathon security than to run his 50th marathon.

BOSTON, MA - Boston Police Commissioner William B. Evans was looking forward to running his 50th marathon in April, his first Boston Marathon since explosions rocked the finish line in 2013 after he had already crossed. But the terrorist attacks in Brussels this week have changed his plans.

Evans has opted to not run in this year's Boston Marathon, instead choosing to focus on securing the country's oldest footrace.

Evans told the Associated Press Wednesday that he canceled plans to run April 18 in Boston. It would have been his 19th Boston Marathon.

Find out what's happening in Bostonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

He said he has no information suggesting specific threats to this year's running, the 120th in history.

Tuesday's attacks in Brussels killed dozens. The chaos was reminiscent of the 2013 Boston Marathon, when homemade bombs went off near the finish line, killing three and injuring more than 200.

Find out what's happening in Bostonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Photo courtesy of Sonia Su

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.